Balfour Meagher are committed to Indigenous Corporations and aboriginal communities’ independence, growth and endeavours. Our lawyers have assisted over the years with a broad variety of Indigenous organisations and community groups to assist them in these efforts. Our team works with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and has helped establish modern commercial and legal structures that enables them to achieve their cultural and environmental responsibilities for their traditional lands, in caring for country and their people.
We provide extensive advice and required documentation for Indigenous Corporations, Trusts and communities in relation to:
- Advice and establishing Supply Nation and Aboriginal Business-compliant corporations, trusts and Joint Ventures (JV) –
- either by an incorporated JV arrangement or JV agreement;
- Aboriginal diversity supplier arrangements – general contractor and supply contracts;
- Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act) and the dealings with the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC);
- Governance and compliance advices – including contemporary Board succession and culturally-sensitive Members’ register management:
- assistance with meetings & resolutions, and
- appointment of independent non-indigenous directors & advisory trustees
- amending and updating CATSI Rulebooks and Royalties/ Charitable Trust deeds;
- Various strategic matters including indigenous organisations, associations relations and communities’ consultations (including “in Country” visits);
- Pastoral leases and agri-business including land management and agistment arrangements.
Our experienced legal and business advisory team provides strategic business and planning advice, including joint ventures, employment law, appointments of CEOs and consultants, management agreements, including also employment disputes and termination of employment, and various law advice.