Mitch Moroney of Moroney & Associates, Business Accountants welcomes Tom Meagher in this episode, Tom is a commercial lawyer based in Perth with over 30 years of experience. As Executive Director of Balfour Meagher, Tom assists small businesses with optimizing opportunities, avoiding risks, and making informed decisions. Tom is also a regular publisher of articles and one of Australia’s leading presenters of legal seminars.
Tom joins Mitch today to discuss what falls under the umbrella of commercial law, the importance of creating employee agreements, and how COVID-19 is likely to impact commercial leasing.
Stay tuned to hear about:
- The core areas of commercial law
- What other departments commercial lawyers collaborate with
- The common pitfalls small business owners fall into and how to avoid them
- Creating clear and concise terms and conditions for your business
- The importance of Equity Holder Agreements for clarity
- Succession planning for your business
- Creating a solid business foundation
- The recent changes in casual employee legislation and how it affects businesses
- Why you should never restructure to avoid legislation changes
- The importance of how and when you make your terms and conditions available
- The subsets of commercial leasing
- Why it is necessary to thoroughly inspect the offer to lease before you sign
- COVID-19 and its impact on long term leasing commitments
- What needs to be in your contracts post-COVID-19
- The importance of ‘test and measure’
- Brand building and trademarks
Mitch finishes the podcast by asking Tom a quick 5 questions:
- What are the most important qualities in business?
- What superpower would you have?
- Any advice would you give your younger self?
- Who’s your favourite footie team?
- What is your favourite book?